4.23.2011

S is for Sweeteners and Steak

I am, more or less, sugar-free while following a low carb plan. I avoid sugar because I have a lot of issues with it. I'll leave it at that for now. My father, now deceased, was a diabetic. My mother is one of those "skinny diabetics." I'm doing my best to avoid diabetes. I don't know how long I will stave it off, but I am trying.

If you have been reading my blog, then you already know that I am not a "purist" in the sense of I can go completely sweet-free just yet. So, I use sweeteners sometimes and sparingly.

I've mentioned sucralose (Splenda) on many occasions. It's something that I tolerate well. I mostly take in splenda through my coffee (the sugar-free DaVinci Syrups), but I do like iced tea in the summer sweetened with it. I don't eat baked goods very often, but splenda can be used in baking.

I do use stevia occasionally, too. Stevia is a more "natural" sweetener that comes from the plant, and the rebiana is the extract that gives it a somewhat sweet taste. If I am buying little packets of sweetener, I prefer PureVia as my first choice and Truvia second. There is a taste difference for me. I believe it is a trial and error process for most people. I don't care for the liquid stevia.

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that I can tolerate well, without stomach issues or a weight stall. The sugar alcohol that I avoid at all costs is maltitol. The side effect of maltitol is digestive upset, so check the ingredients on any sugar-free candy or product purchase before indulging if you are concerned about this side effect.

I no longer take in aspartame on a regular basis, although I admit that I love a diet Dr. Pepper occasionally. It's just my own personal preference not to have aspartame. No judgment if you do, though! I think we all have choices and ultimately use and do what is working for us.

I can remember a time when steak was a big no-no in the low fat world of eating, and therefore I did not indulge in it for probably 10 years or more. Now that I low-carb, I can eat steak without guilt. I probably only have it about once per month, simply because a good cut is kind of expensive and times are tough.

I remember when I liked a "well-done" steak. Since low-carbing, I like my steak prepared medium-well. How do you like yours prepared?

Although I cannot say that I've eaten at the best steakhouses in the country, I have had some decent steak at Gallagher's in Springfield, IL and Angelo's in Panama City Beach, FL. Around my neck of the woods, we mostly have chain restaurants like Applebee's and O'Charley's that serve inexpensive cuts of steak.

Do you have a favorite steakhouse where you live? I'd love to hear your recommendations should our family ever travel through your town on vacation.

2 comments:

  1. Fortunately I don't need to add sugar to my food, I can for example drink Iced Green Tea with a whole lime squeezed in it with no sugar. Trust me it's so refreshing that way.

    It's been a while since I have had steak. I am at the point in my life when certain things are only worth having when they are good, so to often have a poor quality steak that is maybe chewy and tastless doesn't interest me, but I can happily wait for a year if I know next time I have steak it's going to be a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on meat, but I love a fillet now and then – LoneStar is not one of the top of the line restaurants, but their steaks are very good.

    And for sweeteners I use honey or Splenda.

    My current A-Z Challenge blog is here: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/traumatization-of-third-grader.html

    ReplyDelete