4.15.2011

K is for Kale

Kale is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, C and manganese. It packs a punch with its fiber content coming in at 2.5 grams per 1 cup serving. Kale has a little over 7 total carbs in that same serving.

I have read that kale is filled with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is something many consider a part of a diet which focuses on cancer prevention and cardiovascular health.

Although kale is most nutritious if prepared properly (by steaming, I’m told), my family likes baked kale. I first heard about baked kale from a fellow writer, Angie Mohr (check out her blog, Apocalyptic Margaritas). She shared that she loved “kale chips.” Considering I rarely eat chips while following a low-carb plan, I just had to try her recommended method. Wash and spin your kale, chop, toss with olive oil and sea salt. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. You want your kale chips to be lightly browned and crisp. Talk about a very tasty alternative to potato chips. My family and I love these.

My family likes sprinkled Parmesan cheese in place of the salt, sprinkled on top before baking the kale chips. I’ve often wondered what else could be added for different flavors. At some point, I’m going to have to buy some Magic Dust from 17th Street Bar & Grill and see how it tastes.

I just recently saw a recipe from a fellow blogger over at Suburban Wife Life. Kelly posted her version of Kale and Bacon, and it is definitely on my “to make” list now.

Any way that I can get some healthy greens into my family is a positive step in a good nutrition direction.

I wanted to mention 2 more “k” products before I go. The ketchup I use while low carbing is Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup (sweetend w/sucralose). I only use it about 1-2 times per month, but it is a good alternative for me.

My husband likes Extra brand sugar-free gum, while I prefer Stride. One day, he brought home 3 flavors of the Dessert Delights for me to try. While I did not like one of the flavors at all, I did enjoy the Key Lime Pie flavor. It's worth a try for keeping cravings at bay.


4 comments:

  1. Great post. I've never actually tried kale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I've had kale, it was abundant in a soup/stew that I made last year. I'd gotten the recipe from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book (great, by the way). It was really, really peppery. So much so that the batch of soup got pitched.

    Is that what kale is supposed to taste like? Peppery? I was so grossed out that I haven't tried it again in anything else, despite how wonderfully nutritious it is.

    My “M” post is right here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/medical-marijuana.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regular kale is kind of bitter or peppery, but kale chips are not. Hope you give it one more try. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had kale either, but reading Angie's recipe a while back had me thinking about it. Properly seasoned and either baked or fried, most anything can taste good.

    Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
    Write, Wrong or Indifferent
    Marie Anne’s Missives
    In the Garden With Sow-n-Sow
    Every Day Crochet

    ReplyDelete