4.30.2011

Z is for Zucchini and Zevia

Writing about zucchini for my last post in the A-Z challenge probably isn't all that original, but this vegetable definitely has its place in a low carb plan. We grow zucchini in our garden, and have used it to make flourless pizza crust and lasagna noodles. No kidding. You can check out Your Lighter Side's recipes to see how its done, if interested. 1/2 cup zucchini=about 1.5 net carbs.

My fluid intake each day consists of 1/2 to 1 cup of coffee and 64 ounces or more of water. I sometimes have 2 flavored waters per week. I usually consume just one diet soda per week. When I do, I usually have Zevia. Zevia is considered "natures answer to diet soda." It is sweetened with stevia.

I have tried a few flavors, but my favorites are Dr. Zevia and the plain Cola. I have been getting Dr. Zevia through Amazon's subscribe and save program because it less expensive than buying it locally. Because I'm only drinking one can per week, a 24 pack will last me 6 months. If you are looking for a sugar-free soda that is sweetened with a more natural ingredient, you may want to give Zevia brand a try.

Because this is my last post for the A-Z challenge, I want to say a big THANKS to people who stopped by to comment or simply read. As I move into May, I am going to keep this blog going with the intent of using it to personally chronicle how I became obese, the struggle with diets, my food issues, and how I'm progressing with current weight loss. I have some very specific reasons that I have chosen low-carb as my lifelong eating plan, and that decision is not likely to change. I pray that by sharing what I've been through with food, body and health struggles, it will give others a sense of knowing that I, too, have been there, and there is hope for everyone who wants to improve their health. I hope you'll stick around or drop back by for a visit soon.

10 comments:

  1. My husband, who needs to keep a close watch on his blood sugar levels, loves Zevia. It's pricey (about $6 for a six-pack!), but it keeps him from reaching for riskier treats when his sweet tooth calls out for satisfaction, so it's worth it.

    Oh, and I absolutely plan to keep reading your blog! :O)

    I’m A-Z Blogging and my “Z” post is right here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about zucchini, too! Although my recipe is definitely not part of a diet plan.

    Met you through A-Z Blogging Challenge. http://www.betterthanordinary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote about zucchini. Some of the recipes I included are perfect for a low-carb plan (as is zucchini parm, if you grill it rather than fry it). I've never heard of Zevia, so I'm going to have to check it out.

    Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge to visit. You can find me at:
    The Frustrated Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Stevia occasionally, and I LOVE Zucchini. Never heard of using it for a pizza crust though. I'll have to check out the recipe. Thanks. My final A-Z Challenge blog post: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/zu-zus-petals.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm zucchini (coincidently, what I'm having for supper) I haven't tried Zevia before though

    congrats on making it through the challenge, its been an intresting ride
    http://baygirl32.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also on a low-carb diet (although I fell off the wagon the past two days. :-( ).

    Zevia sounds awesome. I wonder if I can have it delivered in South Africa...

    Congrats on completing the A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Zevia. I'm going to check it out. Thanks. And congrats for completing the challenge.

    Langley Writes about Writing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually I think this is my first viewing of zucchini for the letter Z posts in the A-Z Challenge. There might be nothing new under the sun, but you've definitely given an original voice to this vegetable just by being you. Thanks for sharing, and it's a pleasure to meet you via A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heya! Just checking in, it's been quite some time since your last post! Are you still around, or blogging somewhere else or anything?

    ReplyDelete