4.01.2011

A is for Almonds and Avocados

Today (what's left of it) marks the beginning of the A-Z blogging challenge. I have committed myself to writing about something for each letter of the alphabet, for 26 days in the month of April, not including Sundays. Yes, I used the word committed.

Naturally, I thought blogging about what I eat while I am on my low carb plan would make the most sense for a weight loss blog. (Plus, that's the easiest thing I could think of! I admit it, I like to take the easy way out sometimes.) Therefore, be prepared to read about what I eat. Who knows- maybe I'll share a link to a medical study or two along the way.

Almonds- can't live without 'em! They're a good snack when I'm hungry between meals. I typically think of almonds as falling in the nut category, but they're seeds from the fruit of almond trees. Almonds are one of those high-fat foods that are good for you. I would technically say that many foods which are high in fat are actually good for you, in the absence of excess carbs. Almonds have been said to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. They basically help me stay on plan by reducing cravings, and that helps me lose weight. A serving of 1/4 cup of almonds equals about 6 carbs.

Avocados are one of those foods that people tend to shy away from because of the fat content. I am no longer afraid of fat, so I eat avocados whenever the mood strikes. They're a great source of vitamin K and potassium. I know we are told to eat bananas for potassium, but I am unable to handle the sugar in bananas. An avocado is an alternate source. Avocados, like almonds, have anti-inflammatory properties, help with blood sugar regulation, and have heart health benefits, too. I like to slice a ripe almond, and add it to a basic romaine salad along with a little bacon and ranch dressing. Very filling. (<---gasp! Not a complete sentence!) A whole avocado has about 15 carbs, but I can usually only eat half in a large salad for a carb count of 7.5.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the late Dr. Robert Atkins while creating a low carb blog post with the letter "A." Although I don't follow the Atkins diet plan, I own several versions of the different books and know the differences between the plans. The basic principles of the Atkins plan have helped me on my low carb journey.

That's all I have for today's "A" post. Wow. If I just keep writing, I could get an eight-minute head start on tomorrow's challenge.

P.S. Why is this blog called "It's a Sweet Trip"? Why is the address "onthegoodship"? Since this is about my journey to obesity and back, I thought it was fitting to name the blog after something that represents, in a way, the giving up of sweets. And it is, in fact, a sweet trip on my way to better health. Plus, I'm just quirky like that.

Adios!

2 comments:

  1. You turned me on to almonds a while back and now my husband loves them too. Love the new blog. Aded it to my blog as well! Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete